Wednesday 20 April 2016

...and sidekick with panache !


I absolutely hate deadlines, with a passion really. But it seems they do get the best of me and force me to pull the fingers out (of whatever you might think worth pulling out from).
With Knavecon nearing I had a model left to paint and very little time to do so, since I'm on holidays with the kids right now. You will read more about the game involved but I needed a sidekick for the Rogue Trader I showed the other day.



Oh I know, I could have picked one of the already painted miniatures I had and use it but you know, it would have felt like offering flowers meant for your mistress to your wife because you were late to the date... (don't have much experience in that sort of stuff but that's how I imagine it).

So anyway, I had this galactic douche of a rogue trader to accompany so I needed someone suitably silly looking with a touch of badassery. Easy mission you'll agree.


A quick kitbash involving imperial bits, skitari legs and dark vengeance cultist arms and here I was ! The putty work on this one is absolutely atrocious. I must have done that drunk because it was wrong and utterly stupid making the painting process in some places absolutely crazy (almost gave up at some point). I'm not gonna lie, I had to cheat on this one, and I mean big time cheating...
But the way I see it, I'd rather come with a cheated model than empty handed or with a 2nd hand present... (enough with weird comparisons now)

"Oh be my guest Daniel, show that filthy ork what it means to mess with me !"
I like to imagine him like a very loyal and bordeline suicidal/stupid who will do whatever it takes to protect his employer. This will often come in the form of walking on mines (hence the bionic legs), tasting poisonned food or fighting ridiculously powerful opponents his master won't even care to draw his guns for...

"Oh come on Daniel ,the other one was an ork, please try to regain a bit of dignity and annihilate that gigantic superhuman brute that mocked my feather will you ?"
I'm hot as chili to get to Ireland now and meet my friends, get some games, drinks and proper fun all in one !
There will definitely be some good stuff to show and some good stories to tell about it with plenty of games booked in.
I don't know if I'll get another chance to post before leaving so if I don't wich me luck, I'll wish you the best anyway. ;)



In the meantime, go and check (to pledge) this excellent Kickstarter from the no less excellent Ottovonbismark who's sculpting some of the best frog people if you're into those ;

Link for the KS
I've already pledged for a set but I don't know if I want to make a small fantasy warband of them more or if converting and space frogs (given the potential stretchgoals) is what I want. Only thing I know is that I'm having some and that my brushes are eager to meet them.























Now go check the Bizaza Guard HERE.

16 comments:

  1. Nice job mate, you're right, he does look bonkers! Safe travels and good luck in the Emerald Isle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt fun to have a guy looking totally unfit for combat as the combat expert of the group ! ^^
      We'll see how he fares !

      Cheers mate !

      Delete
  2. You've managed to execute an excellent balancing act here - the figure integrates nicely with the primary character, and somehow managed to look both ridiculous (in a good way) and combat-effective. I suspect he's the long-suffering Baldrick type character to his master's Blackadder - ever eager, ever willing, and with no shame!

    I look forward to seeing them both on the table :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blackadder/Baldrick relation is obviously the best to describe how I envision this odd couple.
      Thanks a lot, I'm eager for these two to get a treat of alien sushi now. ;)

      Delete
  3. He looks great man! I like he's ludicrously long beard too :)

    Nice job on the NMM on his shoota as well. Not tried that technique as of yet....should someday.

    Oh, and you've piqued my interest now, what was the "cheaty" stuff you did on him?

    Enjoy your trip buddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not exactly NMM, just weird reflections but NMM is not something I'm tempted by for the time being.
      SInce you asked, the cheated part is the transition between the blue Jacket and white shirt which is missing in some places, I blacklined and added highlights to hide the fact the sculpt is missing a proper transition here and there... ^^
      If you're asking I suppose I concealed it well enough but my eyes only see those mistakes !

      Delete
  4. That's a great blending of lots of very different bits.

    Very much looking forward to the reports from your get-together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm eager to play the Game, that's for sure.
      Silly models thrown in a crazy Game by insane people should lead to some fun. ;)
      Thanks !

      Delete
  5. He fits the bill. That long silly goatee is very long and very silly - I love it!

    Have fun mate. Like everyone else, I'm excited to read your report of the trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should come back with plenty of cool pics !

      Thanks !

      Delete
  6. :D :D He looks totally up to the job! I liked the conversion when I saw it the other day, but now that it's finished, he looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers amigo, maybe it's the colours but he has a slight 2nd ed Blanche vibe I like.
      Thanks a lot !

      Delete
  7. If cheating was involved, it was nicely done. I like the wizard's head you used, especially with your colors ! Have a nice trip to Ireland !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mec !
      I'll have excellent Company so no worries !

      Delete
  8. People say it's easy to combine colours ... just use the color wheel they say ... bah humbug ... it's not that easy BUT you make it look easy with simple colour combinations that looks AWESOME! Great job yet again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A really cheap job I swear and no considération for the colour theory was involved !
      It does the job nonetheless !
      Thanks man !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...