Wednesday 4 November 2015

Rogue Quest level Seven : Mad Dog Finnegan the Barbarian


Level 7 of the Rogue Quest ! This time is my turn after Jon's brilliant bard and I decided to go into the heavy weight category this time. 
As you know, the barbarian is one iconic type of adventurers renowned for his delicacy and very refined approach of things...


Yeah OK, laugh all you want, wether you want it or not, the barbarian is the hero we all admire as kids because you can immediately understand what he's all about, generally one goal, and almost one way to achieve it : violence. When violence doesn't solve a problem for a barbarian, it basically just means he hasn't used enough of it yet.

Barbarians have one trait in common : a flawless athletic physical condition with most of the time muscles where no one knew there could be some :

By Frank Frazetta
To echo this I wanted a hulk of a man and I was lucky to have the perfect model for that ! This model is one of the original space marine scouts (thanks to Jason for pointing me to the solegend links). 

Just take a quick look at him and you can see he's one big bulky baby ! Scale wise he looks like those big Chainsaw warriors. He towers most RT models and I'm close to thinking he's half ogryn or something to be honest...


If you want to see the original approach and if you're not afraid of epilepsy, have a glance at this page from the old times...

WD107, picture from Solegend
His counterparts are not as huge as he is but they kept the punk look that later was combined with a squire look when the background behind scouts made them the rookies they continued to be afterwards.

WD116 ad (Aug89), link from Solegend
But you might wonder why I opted for this colour scheme... the answer is pretty easy and lies in one name : FINNEGAN.

You don't know Mad Dog Finnegan ? Well Finnegan is the body guard of Ulysses, a marine scout gone rogue. His story has been told in the most brilliant manner by the genius Private Weird. If you've read this blog some time before, you may remember I'm a huge fan of this delirious blog that offers the best stories and which reminds me that of all tools we have in our hobby, the most powerful is undoubtfully imagination.


Here's a quick presentation of the gang if you don't already know them !

You 'll even find the profiles for Ulysses, Mad Dog Finnegan aboveand the whole gang !

Now if you haven't read the story before, just know that my interpretation of Finnegan is set after the terrible events happening HERE and HERE.

Mad Dog Finnegan is forced to take dangerous missions to retrieve funds and means to get the gang back on its feet...


Since I had the model selected and I couldn't see it painted in any other way than Finnegan, I asked Private W. the right to copy his character for my own purpose and tried to pay an hommage to it. You can see I did not replicate it exactly because I felt it had to bear my own touch and because my version is a bit older than the one you can see in his stories. To add some contrast, I decided to pull up his sleeves (a whole symbol on top of that) and to vary the colours on the armour parts instead of having black all around. I also added notes of orange to tie the model with my other Rogue quest models but I obviously kept the purple dyed hair, a tribute to Ulysses.


So here we are : 4 of them done which means 2 thirds of my program done, my BBF Captain Crooks has started to work on rules so hopefully we might have what we need to get those babies playing ! I quite like the group so far but I'm starting to feel I could have used a little more of the fairer sex in the party...

Looking at the picture I'm pretty sure Finnegan is half Ogryn by the size of him...

That should be all for this week but I'm actually working on a tutorial for the Champions of Law with 3 new models to add soon. Oh and I'm also working on some old friends as a commission too which is kind of funny. ^^

20 comments:

  1. Really nice addition to the group JB. I like that the character touches / references other people's projects.

    The no nonsense black gear with plenty of flesh on show works brilliantly for the character, while the extravagant purple mohawk is perfect for the barbarous and anarchic nature of the Barbarian :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers ! All credits for the painting scheme go to Private W. really, if I had to paintitt my own way, it would have ended a very conventionnal way with camo pants along a bare tanned chest. The dark suit and gear really let the guy's face be the focus point.
      I think he ticks every barbarian item.

      Delete
  2. While the purple reminds me of the genestalers cults of old, I like your take on the barbarian. The Roque Quest team sure gets more and more interesting !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers ! hadn't thought about the GS affiliation but who knows... everything's possble in the grim darknes sof a far future ;)

      Delete
  3. Cracking Job JB, he's really cool! I've never seen this figure before, but he's a beauty. Great paint scheme too, he fits right in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers ! He's a fun model to paint with his big muscles and all. The weapons aren't exactly to my liking but his face and general look are just too good to let that matter really !

      Delete
  4. Nice figure selection there, JB. It must get difficult sometimes to make a choice with enough relevance. I can't think of another painted one apart from the WD 107 one until now. Nice bad ass look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I gave you another painted example with Private Weird's !
      For this challenge I tried to use those models I couldn't find another use for hence the lack of coherence in ranges. I think they look OK together though.

      Cheers Ed !

      Delete
  5. Nice work. He looks like some one accustomed to solving his problems with violence. Or perhaps starting problems for other people with violence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, violence has got to be there at some point in the process, good thing is that kind of man is able to find a place for it in any circumstance. ^^

      Thanks !

      Delete
  6. Once again, such a charming character! You certainly master all tones of black, you got some nice results here with this palette. He looks imposing as he is supposed to, not the kind of guy you would wanna face in a dark alley! Congrats, looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50 shades of Black they'll call me !
      Anyway I only adapted the work of someone else here so credits to the original creator ;)

      Delete
  7. Wow, Mr. ALMan!!! Wow! Beautiful job on Mad Dog Finnegan!! I'm going to have to keep my Mad Dog locked up in his case so he doesn't see your version - he'll demand a repaint or better yet, hop off to France and have you do it! I must admit I was surprised that you chose Finn, I was expecting you take on Ulysses or even Aki! But your Finnegan simply rocks with the rest of your great-looking gang! And thank you kindly, Mr. ALMan, for your very nice and generous words about my blog! They are much appreciated! Now we all wait to see your take on Lord Asgard one day....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I had Finnegan and not the others plus he looked rightly muscular to be my barbarian. I also like his almost canine loyalty to Ulysses which I found moving. I'll gladly make Lord Asgard if I ever find his model ;)
      I like linking my little world of tales with that of others even if it's just a little overlapping here and there. It feels like sharing a little something I find.
      Thanks you for letting me use one of your characters Sir !

      Delete
  8. I always liked the idea of Space Marine Scouts as the toughest of the tough -- otherwise they wouldn't be out of their armour. So this mini has always been high on my list -- but I've never seen him painted before. Beautiful job - the hair is perfect. What kind of a gun do you think he's got? I could never figure that one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scouts need to be tough by definition I reckon hence why I never fully understand why they are like squires in modern lore... I have no idea about any of his guns but lasgun or autogun would be my guess and something similar for the pistol.

      Many thanks !

      Delete
  9. He looks completely badass, I totally agree with the 1/2 ogre blood he is a real beast, excellent figure pick and I like the skin tone.
    I thing he's carrying an autogun, or specifically an autocarbine with man stopper rounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking something violent like an autogun or autocarbine indeed, not one to shoot laser beams I reckon ;)

      Thanks !

      Delete
  10. That last photo was simply awesome. Your paint job on these pieces are excellent. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, this project is a real pleasure as it's small enough not to be a burden and it's a good occasion to do things differently !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...